Thursday 19 November 2009

Maemo developer day

As I commented in my first post before the Maemo Developer day, it was a "marketing" day.
Many features of the new Maemo 5 Operating System were told, as well as Ovi store services and ways to publish your applications.

As I mentioned before, I was sitting in the same table with Peter, and Timmo (Forum Nokia Worker), having a nice time and chats with them.

The last hours of the training I met an Italian guy, working also for Nokia in Copenhagen. His name is Emanuele and even though he is working already for 2 years in Nokia and he was also studying the previous year, he is originally from Padova.

I have been having some problems with getting ready my environment for the next day, and the trainer, Tino, and some other guys seemed really helpful and willing to help. I was really pleased and I discover that in the software developing world there is not only selfishness and proudness, but also good folks and environment.

The place where we stayed was gorgeous, the food provided amazing, as well as the coffee, cookines, fruits and everything you wanted... Nokia seems to think that new developers are priceless, and they show it to us. We really seem valuable for them.

During the day there were two surprises.
One was a competition online where you can get an N900 for free, and the second one was that in this training we are getting a N900 for free on Thursday. For us to develop and improve the actual "virgin" Maemo 5 based on linux OS for Nokia tablets.

In the end of the day I met the Spanish participants in this event. Ihad a nice chat about the Qt market in Spain and I left after 6pm home, to set up some things for the next day and meeting again the Spanish guys, have a bite and a beer in the centre of Copenhagen.

After that I was not able to go to bed until 1am when finlly my environment was set up correctly and everything was prepared for next day....

No comments: